our budget-friendly wedding V: farewell brunch

I don't know why, but I honestly thought that I had to give our guests a delicious farewell brunch before sending them home to their respective cities. I thought it was the only way to say "thank you" for traveling all the way to Chicago, spending hundreds, maybe thousands, on travel and hotel costs, and getting Nathan and I a wonderful gift. But then I realized how crazy it was to spend nearly 10% of our budget on a day-after brunch!

So, we decided to organize a Farewell Open House - wait for it - in our hotel suite. (BTW, we totally lucked out when The W accidentally gave my aunt (my namesake) our bridal suite, because our upgraded suite was A LOT bigger. Score!)

We decided to have Corner Bakery "cater" the "event" (which simply meant ordering $125 worth of muffins, pastries, and other morning goodies, tons of fresh fruit, and lots of hot coffee). We displayed our super awesome photobooth guestbook so people could page through the hilarious photos and relive the evening. People came and went at their own pace - many slept in and came late, while others came early and left soon after to catch a flight. It was casual and fun - exactly like Nathan and I, if I do say so myself! All in all, it was the perfect way to say goodbye to our family and friends.

Photo credit: W Hotel City Center, photos of our Wow Suite

related posts: our budget-friendly wedding IV: reception, our budget-friendly wedding III: DIY wedding paper, Vendor Review IV: Photobooth, Vendor Review III: Wedding & Reception Flowers, our budget-friendly wedding II: ceremony, Vendor Review II: Hair and Make up, our budget-friendly wedding I: Attire, The photos are in!!!, Vendor Review I: Reception Music

10 comments:

Hannah said...

Great idea-- and a beautiful room!

Anonymous said...

I also love this idea! How did you tell people the details of the times and room number?

Tara Vorhes said...

that is such a great idea! and a very sweet approach.

i wanted to do that at our apt but it was a disaster after moving :(

Colleen said...

well, thanks guys!!!

HN, you are such a faithful commenter - you are the best! Anonymous, I had the info on the "wedding event schedule" which was tied to the front of our OOT bags, but after our room # was changed, we asked our DJ to make an announce at the wedding...and we made sure to remind everyone as they were leaving... T, thank you!!! we thought about having it at our apt, but it is severely tiny and couldn't imagine fitting 60 people in it at one time...

Kate said...

Genius! That's a great idea. I think I just may have to borrow it. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I am taking it too. What time did you open your doors?

Colleen said...

Thank you, thank you, Kate and Kash! It really was the perfect solution to our dilemma. Some of our guests had flights leaving at 12 or 1, so we “opened” at 9am - but most people didn’t come until 10 - and the last bunch left just before 1pm. Thank goodness for a super-late check out!

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

LOVE Corner Bakery - and love your idea!!!

Kate said...

I started a Facebook group for Chicago area wedding planning. Feel free to join in and share your experience and insights. :)


http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=713445274&ref=profile#/group.php?gid=50128450605

Photographers in Hyderabad said...

Nice Post....Useful Information. This post contains very significant ideas & tips, Every reader should be followed. Great idea indeed!